The Secret to Making Delicious Cold Brew
Cold-brew is the perfect refreshment for summer. Here in Arizona, we are always looking for a way to cool off from the extreme desert heat. You don't have to go to a coffee shop to get a great cup of cold brew. You can easily make it at home. Here at Sagebrush, we are committed to offering the best coffee for whatever kind of brew you love. Cold-brew is no exception. We offer coffee that is perfect for cold brew. But how do you select the perfect coffee with just the right roast and the ideal grind? We recommend coffee with flavor notes that are chocolatey or nutty. Since the flavor of cold brew can be bright, it is best to use a bolder, less acidic coffee. We recommend coffee from Latin America, especially Guatemala and Brazil. Since lighter roasts are naturally bright and fruit-forward, we recommend that you stick with City Plus or Full City Plus Latin American coffees since they will offer a fuller and sweeter flavor.
Once you have selected your perfect coffee, the next step is to make sure you have the correct grind. The ideal grind for cold brew is "Coarse." If you do not have a grinder at home, we have that grind level option available to select when you make a purchase. To make cold brew at home, you don't need fancy equipment; you need a pitcher, a fine mesh strainer, and space in your refrigerator.
The Cold-Brew Process
Ratio: 1 cup of ground coffee to 4 cups of cold water.
- Grind your coffee beans to a coarse grind.
- Pour cold water into a large pitcher or container.
- Stir the ground coffee into the water to make sure all of it is submerged. Cover the container and let sit in the fridge for at least 12 hours, preferably overnight.
- Place a cheesecloth or a fine-mesh strainer over and pour your cold brew through your cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer into the pitcher. Store in the refrigerator.
- Pour over a glass of ice and enjoy. If the coffee is too strong, add some extra water or milk to your glass.
Sagebrush's Offering for Excellent Cold Brew Equipment
At Sagebrush, we like to offer brewing equipment that brings value, provides simplicity, and brews an excellent cup of coffee. While you can make cold brew easily without fancy equipment, we'd like to offer an alternative that makes making cold brew even easier without taking up a lot of space.
OXO Cold Brew Coffee Maker is our cold brew machine of choice. It's super easy to use!
- Brews smooth, delicious low-acid coffee concentrate to prepare hot or cold coffee
- Rainmaker TM evenly distributes water for optimal flavor extraction
- Easy-to-access switch activates filtration process while keeping hands clean
- Coffee Maker automatically stops filtering when the carafe is removed to prevent unwanted mess
- Stopper with silicone seal keeps coffee in carafe fresh in the fridge
- Stopper features convenient measurement markings
- Ultra-fine mesh filter is reusable and easy to clean
- Sized to fit neatly on countertops
- Coffee Maker comes apart for cleaning and nests for storage
Did you know that you can make cold brew with a French Press?
This is how you do it:
- Add 4 oz of coarse ground coffee to the bottom of the French Press.
- Pour 3 cups of cold or room temp water over the grounds.
- Gently stir to dampen all of the grounds.
- Let the ground sit for 14-16 hours at room temperature.
- Press and strain into a pitcher for storage and put in the refrigerator.
- You now have a cold brew concentrate! To make a delicious cold brew beverage, combine 1:1 ratio of coffee and water or milk over ice.
You can even make cold brew with an AeroPress!
Quick & simple recipe:
- Set up your AeroPress & place a filter in the cap.
- Grind your coffee (16 g/8 oz) and set it in the chamber.
- Add water up to the #2 mark and stir grounds for 10 seconds.
- Gently press to make the cold brew concentrate.
- Add your desired amount of water or milk over ice and enjoy!
Mystery solved! You now know how to brew an excellent cup of cold brew!